jueves, 18 de junio de 2009

Jolie Holland. Aprenda inglés (del bueno) con Harlem

"Music has the power to loosen the grip of obscure emotions from upon the heart"

Jolie Holland terminó hace escasos días una gira española en la que presentó su último disco, The Living & the Dead, y se topó con OSCAR CUBILLO, quien le lanzó una decena de preguntas.

Influencias.
I am so influenced by everything. I never know what makes the strongest impression that might come through in my work. Every song has different influences, as well.

Cantautora.
I sing songs and I write them. And I ignore the baggage that comes with definitions.

Sinceridad femenina.
Depends on the woman. I would never ask that question. It makes no sense to me, and I can't think of any proof that might actually support it.

Profesional.
I don't have another job besides playing or writing music. I never decided to make my living playing music. But the day came when I knew that my "day job" was taking too much energy away from the music, and also that the music could sort of support me.

Música.
Music carries our culture. And it is a healer. To quote my dear friend's mother, "music has the power to loosen the grip of obscure emotions from upon the heart". He adds, "you can tell whether its good music, or bad, by whether it loosens or tightens that grip".

Poesía.
I'm sure it always was in the songs too.

Literatura.
I used to read a lot, now I write more. Sherman Alexie, Tom Spanbauer, Maya Deren, Sally Fallon, and Bulgakov are some of my favorite writers.

Dislikes.
I don't like music that I don't like. I'm sure it has more to do with particular recordings or songs than genre.

The Living & the Dead.
It was so great to work with all those great musicians: M Ward, Marc Ribot, Shahzad Ismaily and Rachel Blumberg.

Letras.
I usually just refer to the most centrally important emotional experience that is present for myself or my circle of friends. The aftermath of Katrina, in New Orleans, was an important subject for the last record.

Conciertos.
I'm on the road with Grey Gersten, who is a fabulous musician. I'm really excited to be touring with him. I play guitar, piano, and violin. He plays bass and electric guitar. See you soon!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario